The Battle of Waireka is a book I have been working on for a number of years, and has recently been launched at Puke Ariki.
It is available from the book shop at Puke Ariki, in New Plymouth.

It may also be obtained at a discount price to members, from the New Plymouth Branch of NZ Founders Society, the New Plymouth branch of NZ Society of Genealogists and also from Patea historical society. 
I will also mail copies direct from [email protected] 

The book is 256 pages and is very detailed. It is based on all primary and first hand sources available. It is not a summary of other historical works, indeed its purpose is to start again from the source material and discover what actually happened on the day, from the viewpoint of those who were actually there and left their own writings.
The source material is reproduced in full, verbatim from diaries, letters and official reports. The book also includes a large number of early newspaper articles relating to the battle and to the situation in New Plymouth at the time.
The second part of the book comprises ancillary material including a brief background of some of the eye witnesses.

I think it will be a valuable resource for students of history and also for family historians who have an ancestor who was present at the battle.
It is a hard cover book and as it comprises a large collection of early documents, it will maintain its value and I think it will be of interest
to future generations.
Here is a brochure which was circulated by Puke Ariki prior to the book launch:



4th April 2018         Visit to one part of the battle site

The day after the event at Puke Ariki,  Lance and Wayne Kenyon, Ann Kenyon, Meg and Richard Cardiff and I went to the scene
of one part of the battle to get an idea of the “lay of the land.”
This was with permission of the owner. We were accompanied by Len Jury as guide.

The part we visited was the high ridge between the two Waireka gullies, part of a farm once owned by Major Lloyd. I had not previously been able to stand on this ridge, and was very keen to do so, because it was here that the men of the Taranaki Militia first came under fire, together with Hirst’s division of the Taranaki Rifle Volunteers.
This ridge commands both gullies, and with the British Army placed on the town side of the Waireka-iti gully, the militiamen initially had some advantage. However when the British Army went home at nightfall, and Hirst’s Volunteers had already left and crossed over the Waireka-nui gully to join the others at John Jury’s farm house, the Taranaki Militia men were left up on this ridge on their own.
The Taranaki Militia then found that their smooth bore muskets were not so good, and when the British Army went home, some of the men wanted to go home with them. However they were not allowed to do so, and had to help carry their wounded down into the steep Waireka-nui gully and up the other side to join up with the Volunteers  at John Jury’s farm house.

  ​These gullies are very steep, you can not walk down them or walk up the other side, it is only possible to scramble on all fours.  

  Looking down from the ridge (which was once Major Lloyd’s farm).
  Looking down into the Waireka-nui gully.
  On the same ridge but looking back towards town, over the Waireka-iti gully.

The soldiers came down McKellar’s Lane (now Beach Road) on the town side of this gully and helped the Militia to keep the Maori fighters out of the Waireka-iti gully.
But when they went home at 5 o’clock the Militia decided to abandon their position on this ridge and make their way over to join the others at John Jury’s farm house.
  From the ridge looking down to the beach where the Waireka-nui and Waireka-iti gullies discharge out
  into the sea.

  In 1860 the two streams actually joined where they ran out into the sea.
  Today they are two separate streams.
L to R: Lance Kenyon, Margaret Cardiff and Len Jury, up on the ridge